Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Time to vote


I bet you're surprised to see this heading when I've said (and shown) how little politicking knowledge that I possess. But this is fun voting.

Click to vote for the 7 Wonders
This isn't a new reality show where you pick a new lead singer. This is an actual competition to determine the 7 wonders of the world. Only 1 of the original 7 wonders still exists-the pyramids at Giza. Now, why they have to run for office again, I'm not sure. Did they suddenly become un-wonder-ful? Doesn't the fact that they ARE the ONLY remaining wonder of the original wonders mean that they are, in fact, the wonderful-est? I voted for the incumbent, because I think they deserve their spot on the list. And the nominees are:

1 Acropolis, Athens, Greece
2 Alhambra, Granada, Spain
3 Angkor Wat temple, Cambodia
4 Chichen Itza Aztec site, Yucatan, Mexico
5 Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 Colosseum, Rome
7 Easter Island Statues, Chile
8 Eiffel Tower, Paris
9 Great Wall, China
10 Hagia Sophia church, Istanbul, Turkey
11 Kyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan
12 Kremlin/St.Basil's, Moscow
13 Machu Picchu, Peru
14 Neuschwanstein Castle, Fussen, Germany
15 Petra ancient city, Jordan
16 Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
17 Statue of Liberty, New York
18 Stonehenge, Amesbury, United Kingdom
19 Sydney Opera House, Australia
20 Taj Mahal, Agra, India
21 Timbuktu city, Mali

My votes: Pyramids, Machu Picchu, Great Wall, Stonehenge, Acropolis, Colosseum, and the Taj Mahal. I had to pick Machu Picchu, because of my Peruvian soft spot. It's the closest I'll ever get to a wonder. Of course, I wasn't close at all and even if I was close, I'd never see Machu Picchu because the climb would kill me. Those darn Incas. And I've already had a near-death experience involving a long drop and a white light in the Andes.

And just in case you (like me) couldn't name all 7 of the ancient wonders:
ANCIENT 7 WONDERS OF THE WORLD
The Temple of Artemis
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
The Lighthouse at Alexandria
The Pyramids at Giza
The Statue of Zeus

No comments: