Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Exciting weekend



Somewhere I've heard the quote The 3 sweetest words in the English language are 'my own bed'
but I couldn't find it credited in the 2.5 seconds that I looked tonight. I'd make a strong case for the words "three day weekend" being just as sweet. It was a good one to say goodbye to summer...for excitement, I pool-partied. And Darcy ate chocolate. Me...in church...lightning bolt realization that I left chocolate down where she could get it. She never gets into things, never eats people food. This time...Ate the remainder of a bag of Hershey's Kisses, foil and all. So I checked the Internet, called my vet on Sunday on Labor Day weekend, called the 12-year-old emergency vet who thought she'd probably be all right. Or I could start giving her hydrogen peroxide to make her throw it up. According to what I read, she'd have to eat something like 5 or 6 pounds. And she ate more like 5 or 6 ounces...wrapped in foil. So I memorized the signs and watched her like a hawk. I started noticing the signs of sleep deprivation (hey, Darcy, are you awake? are you Ok? Do you feel Ok? every 5 minutes will do that to a dog). And she seemed fine. Then, on Monday, bright and early, the foil wrappers came back up. I learned a very valuable lesson: either clean up my act and/or no more chocolate for me (and what was I doing with chocolate anyway? that's not even on the stupid diet.)

And all this on top of watching Year of the Dog on DVD this weekend. Word to the wise: I thought this would be a light romantic comedy. Nope, not romantic or light or even that comedic. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. I also watched Freedom Writers (very good movie) and Blades of Glory (very dumb movie but I laughed-no animals were harmed in the making of this one, only dumb people). And I knitted...one eye on Darcy at all times. She has to go back to the vet to have her ear checked. I think I'm going to confess how dumb I am so that he can reassure me that she's really going to be OK. The girl needs to get some rest.

No comments: