Thursday, October 02, 2008

Thank you, Mrs. Barnum


Ms. Barnum was my Home Ec teacher in high school. And this was my first sewing project, a shirt and shorts, featuring a lovely fabric with geese. Yes, geese. I believe it was 1989, but I would not swear to that. In her class, I learned to sew (barely) and to cook in a microwave (badly). I'm sure there were other things, but that's what really sticks in my mind. I kept up with the sewing with the help of my mom. She did not like to sew. Really, she did not like to cut out. And that was my favorite part, so we made a good team. As I said, I like to start things. I like to cut things. Even then, it was true. In exchange, she also ripped out my mistakes for me. I never have had any patience.

Anyway, I believe I wore this outfit exactly twice...once, when I was forced to wear it to school. And the other, apparently, on this day the camera was out. And at the time, I never in a million years would have guessed how important knowing how to sew, even just the basics, would be to my future. I've lost track of how long I've been working on quilt books now, but really, thank goodness for that 10th grade sewing class!

No comments: