Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Remember the weekend?

As it is a dreary, nearly wintry day here today, I'm posting leaf pictures from this weekend. Sorry, Mary, I had a leaf picture, needed some copy to go with...decided a poem would do. Lucky for you, I almost published an original work, but then I remembered the pain of my college creative writing course and decided against it. I'm very proud of that B and the lesson that I learned...you can't take the heat, stay out of that kitchen. Or at least, stay anonymous in that kitchen.

Yellow, mellow, ripened days,
Sheltered in a golden coating;
O'er the dreamy, listless haze,
White and dainty cloudlets floating;
Winking at the blushing trees,
And the sombre, furrowed fallow;
Smiling at the airy ease,
Of the southward flying swallow
Sweet and smiling are thy ways,
Beauteous, golden Autumn days.

Author: Will CarletonSource: Autumn Days


1 comment:

Mundane Jane said...

oooh--ooooh! An opportunity to quote one of my favorites (by Gerard Manley Hopkins):

Spring and Fall

Margaret, are you grieving
Over Goldengrove unleaving?
Leaves, like the things of man, you
With your fresh thoughts care for, can you?
Ah! as the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder
By and by, nor spare a sigh
Though worlds of wanwood leafmeal lie;
And yet you will weep and know why.
Now no matter, child, the name:
Sorrow's springs are the same.
Nor mouth had, no nor mind, expressed
What heart heard of, ghost guessed:
It is the blight man was born for,
It is Margaret you mourn for.