Tuesday, May 23, 2006

30% Dixie...Is that right?

Your Linguistic Profile::
50% General American English
30% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
0% Yankee


I found the half-forgotten Southern intonations and elisions as pleasing to my ear as they had formerly been. A Southerner talks music. At least it is music to me, but then I was born in the South. The educated Southerner has no use for an r, except at the beginning of a word.
Twain, Life on the Mississippi

So, since the Nerd test was wildly popular, here's another one to tell me what kind of English I use. I expected Dixie to be a little higher. Must be all that book learnin' I have or my metropolitan background (Hometown: Little Rock, AR). Maybe it's all my world travel (Piggott...Paducah...Peru). If they could only hear me, I'd have gotten more Dixie and less Midwest, I'm pretty sure. Aren't ya'll? Every waitress I've asked for iced tea outside the south has asked me where I'm from (and then either raves or rants about Bill Clinton).

Well, I'm fixin' to get on with my rat-killin'. (Jean, that's for you!)
Rat-Killin'(web definition) -- One's own business; small chores or jobs. Similar to "Tend to your own knittin'"

P.S. If you want to take the test, click above. Posting the table doesn't seem to be working for comments, so just tell me how you did (specifically, your "Dixie-ness".

No comments: