Thursday, May 11, 2006

Book Club: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe



(Note to everybody who knows me: Can you believe I actually got it on there? Now I just have to figure out who Prince Rilian is!)

Our next book, away from the Bleak House challenge, was supposed to be Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. But...it turned out to be a combo reading-start at the beginning of the story, oddly enough, with The Magician's Nephew and then read Lion, Witch, Wardrobe (shortened without a weird abbreviation). Today at lunch we talked about it and it looks like we're going to read them all. Luckily, I have the massive compiled volume with all 7 books. I'm reading and building strong muscles at the same time 'cuz it's a big sucker!

I've read Lion, Witch, Wardrobe before, but I couldn't remember much of it. I have that trouble with a lot of things lately. Must be all the Diet Coke. This time, as I read it, I couldn't help but compare it to the Harry Potter books. That does a disservice to Lewis, and I really enjoyed his story, but the endings felt so abrupt...tons of details about some things, but the battle that we're building to in the story is covered in one paragraph. In Harry's world, the details never stop (but each book is big enough to build strong muscles. Can you imagine what it would be like if all 7 of these were bound together?).

Also, as both a Christian and an English major, I had a hard time just reading Lion, Witch, Wardrobe without mentally setting up symbolic meanings for every little thing. And, as my friend Mary said "Sometimes a lamppost is just a lamppost." She's really deep that way. (Mary, did you notice you graduated from 1 letter to 4? Thanks for being a real person!")

I did enjoy it and I can't wait to discover my self in Prince Rilian. If you've read any of the Narnia tales, take the quiz and let me know which character you are. Maybe you won't end up as Prince Rilian the Disenchanted. They have a neat Harry Potter quiz, too, but I'm not any happier to be Cornelius Fudge. Maybe I'll get a different answer tomorrow!

No comments: