Monday, July 03, 2006

Garvan Woodland Gardens

100_0200
Another place that I can't believe I've missed! Garvan Woodland Gardens, just outside of Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton, is beautiful and is definitely my kind of "outdoorsy-ness"--well marked paths, a few hills, lots of shade, and water nearby. I'm not much of a gardener so I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did, but I'm looking forward to another visit soon.

100_0233
1. July 3 is not the best time to visit the gardens. First, it's H-O-T! Second, the choices for flowering plants are a little limited. Third, I missed out on some of the scenery due to my vigilant watch for snakes. One sign warning that snakes lived there, too, was all it took. Every time I went on an off-road adventure I was looking for snakes. All I ever saw were lizards, koi, and gigantic squirrels. Thank goodness. I'm OK with hefty squirrels.

100_0214

2. July 3 is still a good time to visit. Shady paths, cool breezes, ponds, lakes, and streams make this a nice visit. Yes, seeing the 50,000 tulips in April would be nice, but this was pretty great, too.

100_0226

3. Lots of different things to see. The gardens include an Asian-inspired area with the Full Moon Bridge and koi pond, the fern glade, singing springs, and old brick hill.

100_0218

4. Off Road Adventures. The gardens have very well marked paths and some paved areas, and then they have other paths (usually marked non-ADA) that take you to less accessible places (unless you are too afraid of snakes or slipping and falling to your death or at least severe injury/sprained ankle). I do not like snakes, but I wanted to go to these places more than I was afraid of snake bite, so I did a little extra climbing. Nothing very impressive, but pretty good for me. The whole sprained ankle thing was a very good possibility, but I can do that standing still in a paved parking lot, so I don't let that stop me.


100_0243
100_0240
100_0255

5. Coming Attractions. I didn't get to see the Anthony Chapel (designed by E. Fay Jones, the same man who designed Thornecrown chapel) or the Smith Crescent (designed by P. Allen Smith, opening 2007), so I definitely plan to go back, hopefully in tulip season. Anybody else want to go?
100_0257

No comments: