Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Passion for Lists


The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists.
H. Allen Smith

Lists of things to do before Quilt Market, while I'm at Quilt Market, things to do as soon as I get home from Quilt Market, and other things that should be on a list but have zero to do with Quilt Market...Weird, I know, but I like lists, schedules, count downs to important days, file folders, new school supplies, and I'd love to have a label maker but consider it too far over the edge to actually buy one. It just feels soooo good to cross one more class off my "free-at-last" countdown or another worry off the list. My friends can tell you that December 12 is a day that figures prominently in my daydreams. I can start to live again then.

Until then, I write it down. Then, after I recover from the shock of seeing in on paper, I cross it off. One by one. Having a bad day? That's OK. Tomorrow I can cross it off the list.

When we were laughing (mine might have been a little desperate and hollow) about December 12, I said something about making a list of things I want to do A.S. (after Strategy, the class). So, hunting for a photo to jazz up the post, I ran across web listings for life lists like Ellen's. Here are some tips I found on writer Stephanie Bond's web site:


The good news is there is more to life than everyday drudgery—you can harness your energy and direction by creating a personal Life List. Not to be mistaken for a simple to-do list, a Life List represents dreams and goals, no matter how fantastic or out-of-reach they seem at the moment. Here are eight steps to help you design your very own Life List:

Evaluate.
One good jumpstart is to list five adjectives that describe you now, and five adjectives you hope will describe you in the future.
Classify. Divide your Life List topics into distinct categories, such as Charitable Activities, Encounters with Key People, Ownership/Acquisition Activities, Medical/Health-Related Activities, Creative Experiences, Educational/Self-improvement Activities, Travel and Adventure.
Brainstorm.
Prioritize.
Record.
Act.
Persist.
Celebrate.
One piece of advice: Don’t allow your Life List to make you feel guilty or add more stress to your life. Creating and fulfilling items on your Life List should be a fun, rewarding experience. Also, your Life List should be viewed as a life-long work in progress—naturally, your goals and dreams will shift in form and priority as you mature, and your Life List should reflect those transformations.

Regardless of your age, experience, or financial status, you’ll discover that creating, recording, and revisiting your personal Life List will help you get the most out of living. So what are you waiting for? Get a Life List!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

Found your blog via the Lazy Girls (I always type that grils) yahoo group. Just wanted to say that the Life List entry was really interesting and definitely being added to my list making.

Thanks,