Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Material Girl Post


I can't believe I missed it yesterday, but AOL has changing entertainment/music pictures on one of its pages, sort of a "This day in history" kind of thing. Yesterday's picture was of Madonna because the album "Like a Virgin" was released on November 14, 1984. My Madonna connection used to be a little bit of an inside joke with my "friends" here at work, because I can still sing all the words to "Material Girl" if I put my mind to it. When I turned 30, my "friends" turned it from inside to outside by posting signs around with my face on Madonna's body (shudder!). When it came time to try to name a blog, my "friends" helpfully suggested a return to my Madonna roots. So, there you go.
Here's my defense: in 1984, I was 11 years old. The memories of carrying my boom box out to the picnic tables after school to sing "Material Girl" over and over and over with my friends are kind of sweet. I think there might have also been a dance involved. If I think I can stand it, I'll post a picture of me the year I dressed up as Madonna. I was 11.

So that you can be stuck singing the chorus along with me, here are some lyrics:
Some boys try and some boys lie but
I dont let them play
Only boys who save their pennies
Make my rainy day, cause they are
Living in a material world
And I am a material girl
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so want to see the picture of you dressed up as Madonna! It will make my year.

The songs I used to sing at 11 were from ABBA. My husband recently added a ABBA song to my name on his phone. When I call him, they sing "Friday Night".

Your blog is great!

;-) Becky