Thursday, November 30, 2006

Why I can't quilt


Last night I spent time cleaning up some of the mess I've made out of my spare rooms, in preparation for messing them up again to decorate for Christmas. One spare room has a bed, the other has my sewing stuff. Unfortunately, it also has the only desk-ish thing in the house. Other than the dining room table, anyway. Before my big dinner in September, I had my life-sucking project stuff spread out all over the dining room table. I live alone. I can do that. I can also leave my shoes in the kitchen, but that's another story. Anyway, when my family came over, I moved everything to the desk that holds my sewing machine. And then I spread out. This morning it looks a little better. For some reason, I only have the urge to clean when I should be leaving for work.

Now, when I have a spare minute, I'm working on a Christmas gift for my family. I've inherited all my mom's photo albums. So, as the family historian and dabbling genealogist, I thought I'd make them a cool photobook from Shutterfly. You upload pictures, use their layouts, and add as much copy as you want. They bind it with a cover that you choose and send it to you. It might be a little expensive, but hopefully it's an heirloom and it's appreciated. When I get them in, I'll post pictures. They say the books will ship in 3 days. 3 days! It's too bad our printers don't work that fast. Of course, we don't want to pay $30 a book either. As a result of this project, I have more electronic equipment set up than I want and I have pictures spread out over every flat surface. Oh, and my mom also wrote poetry and essays, so I found as many of them as I could to put in. I think it's going to be a cool gift. I'm a little afraid that this Christmas might have been too soon to give it, but we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea! I think your family will think it is a wonderful keepsake (and no fighting over who gets the album, since everyone has their own!).
Mary