Wednesday, February 07, 2007

F-stop this!

f-stop: In photography the f-number (focal ratio) expresses the diameter of the diaphragm aperture in terms of the effective focal length of the lens. For example, f/16 represents a diaphragm aperture diameter that is one-sixteenth of the focal length (or the focal length is 16 times the aperture).

Last night I went to my first Basic Photography class at Bedford Camera. I think I've already learned some good stuff. In no particular order:
1. ISO refers to the sensitivity to light of you film or sensor. Low ISO is good for low light, lots of details. High ISO is good for bright light and action. And as we all know, 400 is often the best way to go (I think I always buy ISO 400 film). I used this knowledge today to get "details" on a super-duper top secret project that I can't show you. You'll just have to take my word for it.
2. Aperture or f-stop refers to how wide the lens opens, lets light in faster or slower. Copied that from the hand-out cuz I sure can't prove it.
3. Shutter speed refers to how long the shutter is open to let in more or less light.
4. There are allll kinds of tools needed to have a hobby in photography. I think this may be even more expensive than quilting.
5. Someday I'm gonna take some really great photos. To see what the teacher can do, go to www.dominicrossetti.com. He takes landscape photos.

No comments: