Monday, February 05, 2007

That's so cute!

Yesterday at lunch, Mary reminded me of something funny that happened while we were out to dinner in Anaheim. Actually, it started a little earlier in the day at the hotel. I got to the hotel very early in the day (as the result of leaving before the crack of dawn), but my room was ready and I got on the elevator with a...lady. If I hadn't been so tired, I probably would have looked at her clothing askance, but as it is, I just noticed and perhaps raised one eyebrow.

She asked me what floor, and I think my answer was a simple "14" and a turn to watch the numbers go up. As the conversational doors were opened, she then asked "Are you here for work or vacation?" So, then I say, "I'm here for a work, a tradeshow at the convention center." And as I can never let well enough alone, then I said, "But I'm going to try to work in some fun, too." She turned to me, with a sort of goofy grin, and said "Where are you from?" Why? I don't know. I don't have an accent.

So I answer, "Little Rock, Arkansas." Instead of the normal pro/con comment on Bill Clinton, as she's getting off the elevator, she says, in a tone to match the goofy grin, "That is sooooo cuuuute!" Since I wasn't doing anything exceptional at all at the time, I have to assume she meant the way I talk. Why? I don't know. I don't have an accent. Especially as compared to others from around here.

So, I tell Mary (who really doesn't have an accent) this story (among others that I probably shant repeat on this blog, although they did almost result in making a table of people spew drinks threw their noses. I have that effect sometimes.) Anyway, we're at Johnny Rockets and the waiter comes up to take our order. Mary goes through hers, which is usually a process (I want this but not that, 2 of these please, etc.). No reaction from him. Mine is plain and simple. I want the original hamburger with fries and a Diet Coke.

I think it was the "Di-et Co-oke" that did it, because there was this instant "Huh?" moment where he did the cartoon double-take and said "Where are you from?" Why? I don't know. I don't have an accent. To which I responded, "Little Rock, Arkansas, but you're supposed to say 'That's soooo cuuute!'" His answer: "Well, it is kinda cute," OK, so maybe it's "ju-ust fi-ine" that I have an accent. I need all the cute factor I can get.

So anyway, I'm hoping for more "Southern Belle" than "Arkansas HIllbilly" in my voice.

No comments: