Monday, March 03, 2008

Can you hear me now?



I really couldn't resist.

Celebrate Alexander Graham Bell's birthday by making a call. I bet Mr. Bell never once considered what his invention might lead to: telemarketing during dinner time, prank calls about running refrigerators, texting with IDK your BFF Jill?, loud personal conversations in the Hobby Lobby by someone wearing a space age headset, I will just focus on the development of "order food and pick it up call" while I celebrate the telephone.

AT A GLANCE:
Alexander Graham Bell, American inventor and teacher of the deaf, most famous for his invention of the telephone. Since the age of 18, Bell had been working on the idea of transmitting speech. In 1874, while working on a multiple telegraph, he developed the basic ideas for the telephone. His experiments with his assistant Thomas Watson finally proved successful on March 10, 1876, when the first complete sentence was transmitted: "Watson, come here; I want you."

No comments: