Friday, March 07, 2008

So I missed the weekend...

March 8 was International Women's Day
From Wikipedia:
International Women's Day (IWD) is marked on March 8 every year. It is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women.

Jane Austen:
History, real solemn history, I cannot be interested in.... I read it a little as a duty; but it tells me nothing that does not either vex or weary me. The quarrels of popes and kings, with wars and pestilences in every page; the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at all - it is very tiresome. (spoken by Catherine Morland in 'Northanger Abbey')

HOWARD ZINN, A People's History of the United States
It is possible, reading standard histories, to forget half the population of the country. The explorers were men, the landholders and merchants men, the political leaders men, the military figures men. The very invisibility of women, the overlooking of women, is a sign of their submerged status.

And March 9 was Panic Day. I tend to celebrate this every day, although yesterday was a fairly laid-back sorta day for me.
Quote from (random) web site:
Panic day, March 9th, is a light-hearted holiday about the panic and stress we all experience from time to time in our everyday lives.

No comments: