Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Overheard, Part 2


For those of you who don't know this, there's an entire family of "Overheard" sites: www.overheardinnewyork.com, www.overheardintheoffice.com, in Minneapolis, at the beach, everywhere...there's a long list of "overheard" sites out there. I have no desire to start that here. Some of those overheard snippets are alarming. Funny, but alarming. I just happened to have one other moment where listening to the conversation around me was pretty funny. And I was involved but only as an innocent bystander.

Again, while I was out doing my best to bring us out of recession, to save one of my normal clothes-buying establishments, I overheard this. I was checking out, blowing on my debit card to cool the flames of the damage I did (not really, but hyperbole can make a better story). And behind me, one of the ladies who work there was working, walking, etc. and she exclaimed, "Whew, I sure could use a man for about 20 seconds."

And my mind didn't automatically go there. Sometimes it does, but this time it didn't. I'm not sure where it was, maybe calculating dollars again or just pondering the well of what saleslady said. I'm not sure. All I know is that, when I look up at other saleslady who is doing her best to take my money, she's waiting patiently and laughing. Obviously, I was lost in thought longer than she believed appropriate. She stops laughing and says, "She's moving a table." And really, I didn't care what she needed a man for. I just thought it was kinda odd, ya know?

Aren't you glad you don't have to pay for these stories?

No comments: