Sunday, July 12, 2009

Forget Ancestry.com


Saturday I ran in to my neighborhood Petco to get a bag of Darcy's food and across the windows and sliding glass doors was painted "Do you know what the American dog is made of?" And then there was a list of breeds. All on the windows. It was a lot of paint. And it turns out that I do not, in fact, know what the American dog is made of.
Snips, snails, puppy dog tails..that's little boys.
Sugar, spice, and everything nice...little girls.
Don't know American dog ingredients, so I was searching around to see what might have been going on at the Petco...because there were a lot of dogs there. Cute dogs. Puppies. Cute little black puppies with sweet, sweet faces. Sweet, sweet already adopted faces. Thank goodness.
I don't know what brought all the dogs out, but it turns out that for one (low?) price, you can do DNA testing on your mixed-breed dog to find out what makes up your American dog.
I didn't understand why you'd want to, but the Petco site says that you can understand your dog's personality and health better if you know what breeds go into your particular melting pot. And I can get that. I don't think I'll test Darcy because she's already trained me very well to work with her personality but if you other pet parents out there want to know more, you can find out more at Petco.
I wouldn't mind running a swab over my own cheek to send away and get results back six weeks later to see what my origins are. I've tried building my family tree and it's a lot of work.

1 comment:

Mundane Jane said...

You don't need a DNA test. You are obviously part kitten.