Thursday, July 09, 2009

An obsessive personality

I've explained my difficulty with leaving a series unfinished before. It forced me to read all the books that came after Wicked and all the Twilight books and there are probably more that don't come to mind. The Dresden Files phase began because I couldn't leave the series unfinished but by the end it was more like I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Alas, I have reached the (current) end and now I have to wait. I hate that, but it was nice while it lasted (for 11 books!). I believe I read the last 3 last week. That takes dedication, hard work, and late nights. Someone who has a vacation looming (can that happen? do vacations loom? I wish I had a vacation looming. I really, really do.) asked for book suggestions (at a low, low price, things being the way they are). This is it for me. This is what I've been doing, and thanks to the library and my tax dollars at work, you can't beat the price. So I say:

-if the idea of a wizard/private investigator who advertises in the phone book
-and "owns" a 30 pound cat named Mister, a 200 pound temple dog named Mouse, and a talking skull named Bob who reads romance novels
-and routinely battles with and alongside vampires, werewolves, faeries, angels, demons, and other wizards/warlocks
-to keep the streets of Chicago and the Ways of the Nevernever safe for you and me
-while keeping a witty comeback ready even in the face of constant life-and-death situations

sounds like something you might be interested in, I say you gotta give these a try. The episode with the chlorofiend in the Wal-Mart sticks out in my memory. You wouldn't believe how many defensive items there are in the Wal-Mart garden center, even if you are only human.

To track them down, look for Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I think the first one was Storm Front. And now I'm all...floating around, looking for the next compulsion to hit. Until then, I have reality t.v. I think I'll be OK.

No comments: