Tuesday, November 24, 2009

When I say "I don't cook"...


I mean I don't cook. I usually boil noodles and open a can. When I look at this refrigerator I think--
Maybe they just moved in.
Maybe it's really, really time to go to the grocery store.
Maybe these people have another refrigerator somewhere where they keep the real food.

This is my refrigerator, the only one I have. I don't have a freezer or another refrigerator storing all the good stuff. This is all that is in my house right now. And that's after I made a trip to the grocery store. Otherwise, there'd be no pizza either.

And the turkey started it all. On Friday, the management team at Leisure Arts handed out our Thanksgiving turkey. While this makes me sad that I am actually going to have to cook a turkey, it makes me very happy that I don't also have to buy a turkey.
But it had no home to go to. That freezer was filled with freezer-burned fish sticks and half eaten "lite" ice cream containers. (Why do I keep buying lite ice cream? It's a mystery.) Those had to go to make room for the turkey and then I went on a rampage through the entire refrigerator. Now I am left with a shelf of condiments, most nonalcoholic beverages (you got your basic milk, orange juice, water and plenty of Diet Coke) as well as a solid representation of the cheese family. To get here, I discarded three jars of pickles that expired 3 years ago. I think someone is sneaking in when I'm not around and using my refrigerator for pickle storage.

This situation makes me happy. As Christmas looms, I've actually done one thing I mean to do every year and never do. I've cleaned up my refrigerator. And there is a new surface to eat off of right now. Those shelves are clean. In fact the entire kitchen is clean. And I think I can keep it that way for a month or so...because there's no real food to cook anyway.

In fact, I'm thinking I just need to get a dorm-sized refrigerator to keep myself well hydrated. Then I could get rid of this completely and put it something really helpful like bookshelves.

2 comments:

JustCindy said...

My first thought when I saw the picture of the fridge was "at least she is staying hydrated." I'm sure Darcy is glad she doesn't have to eat from the fridg. ;)

Mary in WI said...

This happens to me as well...I start by re-arranging everything in the freezer...then it morphs into cleaning out the fridge...next thing you know, it's 3 hours later and all the closets have been cleaned and there are 4-5 bags of clothes that don't fit/are never worn ready to go to Goodwill. Sigh.