Monday, April 05, 2010

Could somebody please take this??

I need someone to remove my television from my house. Not in a "breaks in and takes my stuff" kind of way, but in a "you'll feel so much better" kind of way. I made the mistake of searching for television shows that I haven't seen in the watch instantly portion of the Netflix. And I've already explained how I determine what to watch when I don't know what I want to watch: I look for people that I've liked in other things.

And that's how I ended up at "Firefly" on Friday. The bright spot is that it was cancelled after one season (2002...what was I doing in 2002?) so it won't take much time (and in fact, if you work at something, you can make it through half a season easily in a weekend. Ask me how I know.) but I'm pretty sure I'll be sad when it's over.

If you don't know Firefly, the earth runs out of oxygen or something so we outfit other planets and relocate. The central planets are spacey and stuff and the planets on the edge are frontiersy. There was a war between the Alliance and independents which the Alliance won (don't they or the Empire always win?) but not all the independents are happy about that. In the frontiersy world, you can make a lot of money if you have a ship, a crew, and a gun...like Captain Mal Reynolds and the crew of the firefly-class ship Serenity.

It's sorta the Old West meets Space, the final frontier. And the highlights: Nathan Fillion, currently ruggedly handsome as mystery writer Richard Castle, is the quippy captain, Adam Baldwin who is mad, bad, and dangerous to know as Chuck's Casey is also mad, bad, and dangerous to know here. Add to that a couple of people who grow up to be Vs (look, Anna with hair!)...and it's like a "Before They Were Famous(er)" experience.

The hardest part to swallow: the Old West palaver. It rolls uneasily off the tongue of all the Canadians in this show and actually, I don't think anyone can actually pull off "Old West" speak. And I don't really understand it...it's the year 2517, why are we speaking that way? The US and China were/are the only powers left so I get a little better the Chinese that works in. And why are those women wearing aprons and bonnets? I just don't see that happening, even out on the final frontier. Still, I'm a fan of the watching instantly...and I will accomplish very little until it's over.

Could someone please take this television out of my house? I read Yarn Harlot's tweet about the "no t.v. during daylight hours" and thought it was an excellent plan. Now I just need someone to enforce it.

No comments: