Thursday, April 15, 2010

Did you know? (a.k.a. Needed a Post today)



Did you know that it is national library week? I really didn't remember it, but I read a tweet from a writer I follow celebrating the librarian (thus, the picutre of Marian the Librarian and the post when I needed a post). I have a deep love for the library. They keep books there. And that's enough for me.

I also worked as a library clerk for about six months so I have a strong appreciation for what librarians do, a great deal of which is research related. Kids, grown ups...the librarian is there to help with some of the craziest research questions. I've seen it in action. I actually worked with the Children's Programmer. I was younger then and had a better attitude with the youth-types. I remember flannel story boards and story times, but I enjoyed shelving books so much more. I also traveled to every branch in the central Arkansas system to barcode the books and help set up the computerized systems. Books and computers, shelving and reshelving all day long...I loved it. But my favorite part of the job was repairing the books because it was like a book and a craft project all at once. Really, the only problem with that job was the dollars to children ratio. It happens that way sometimes.

And as it is also national poetry month...a poem to celebrate the book.


A Book

 There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

Emily Dickinson





No comments: