Monday, April 12, 2010

Fine. And yours?

This is my house as I was leaving it this morning. I spent a good deal of time working on that stupid flower bed this weekend and it still looks better from waaay back.

Do you know that there are people who say they actually like working in the yard? I know. I can't believe it either.

If I took this shot any closer, you would see that I still have the world's ugliest bushes, planted there when the house was new. All I've done in five years is take things out. I have an aversion to monkey grass and so I get the urge to take some out about twice a year.

While I was standing in the snaking line at Home Depot, elbow to elbow with dudes with carts, I looked at the flowers and really thought I might need to come back to get some to die in those empty pots. I might still do that. I do sort of enjoy putting pretty things in even if I forget to water them.

Friday night and Saturday night, I removed old mulch and put new mulch in. And that's about the extent of what I'm willing to do for the flower bed. Those bushes are still ugly, need to be spread out or removed, but I don't think I have that in me and I have to move on and study grass, weeds, and how much the combination really bothers me.

Honestly, enjoy this? I don't think so. And a note to the men who visit places like Home Depot: to the gentleman who offered to help me load my SUV...I said it then and I'll say it again...thank you. It's rare, unexpected, and special to have someone offer to help. To the men who stand around being obnoxious while they are forced to wait on me to wrestle the bags of mulch onto the flat cart in the first place, I'll say...be helpful or go away. It seemed like an accident when I nearly ran over your toes and barked your shins with my cart. It probably was. You know how women are bad drivers and all.

What can I say? Yard work makes me angry. And dangerous. And now that I've been able to/forced to haul in my SUV, I really miss that convertible. A lot.

No comments: