Monday, April 19, 2010

You Couldn't Ignore Me if You Tried

It took me a while to do it, but I finished up You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried by Susannah Gora this weekend. Since Pioneer Woman reviewed it and tweeted tidbits from it, I thought I might really like to read it. I am/was an 80s teen after all and could quote lines from The Breakfast Club on demand.

And I did enjoy it. Sort of. I think I had the same problem with the book that I had with the extras on The Breakfast Club DVD. Maybe I'm not old enough for that type of serious analysis yet. I think the book could have been half as long and twice as good, but that's me. It's a lot of pages and reads very academically, sometimes textbook-like. Me, I'm all about the info-tainment.

The behind-the-scenes look at movie making from script writing to casting to rehearsal to filming to trailers and premieres was very interesting. Also, the idea that I should have been offended at Allison's transformation in The Breakfast Club (but I wasn't because really, who doesn't want to be pretty and popular?) or that I missed completely the bad hairpiece at the end of Pretty in Pink (because the movie ending was reshot when audiences hated the idea of Duckie getting the girl)...those things are really, really interesting.

Gora does an excellent job of showing "impact on a generation" so if you're part of that generation and you have some time on your hands, maybe you should check it out.

No comments: