Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sick people should also get to watch what they want on the t.v.

I don't do well with daytime t.v. I don't watch soaps, usually can't go for talk shows, can't deal with Judge Judy, and there's only so much HGTV you can do, you know? This is where Netflix comes in, but I think I have a shocking revelation. I had my reasons. Still, maybe we should have some sort of intervention because I spent my time recuperating with some movies like National Treasure 1 and 2, Dan in Real Life, Harry Potter, and with a new old television series in the form of...Buffy the Vampire Slayer. OK, you're alarmed, but Buffy and Joss Whedon came up in both of the last writers confluences I attended and all of the seasons are there, just waiting to be watched instantly...

10 reasons why I think Buffy was fine to watch in an immovable state:
1. Convenience. With Netflix and my Wii remote, I had a constant stream, no moving required. This was very important. I could sleep through the end of one show and the next one was right there, ready to go.
2. Nathan Fillion. Have I mentioned how much I love the show "Castle" here? I think I have. I did not, however, do the research to find out that he didn't appear until the very last season. That would be Season 7, roughly 140 episodes in. I don't know if I have it in me to get there.
3. Dress code. Buffy entered Sunnydale, home of the Razorbacks, roughly 6 years after I graduated high school. Granted it was Arkansas, home of the Razorbacks, not California, but Buffy's clothes are amazing.
4. Heel height. I also watch in fascination, expecting at any moment that Buffy will fall and break her neck, freeing demons to do whatever they will because she was improperly shod for kung fu in a graveyard.
5. Bang choices. About Season 3, Buffy's hair has gone horribly, horribly wrong. First it was color, then it was bangs, and then it was just...wrong. I can't wait to see how she gets out of this one.
6. Variety. Buffy doesn't just do vampires. 145 episodes require some serious research, in and out of the Sunnydale High library.
7. Hank Summers. I'm not sure what it says about me that my first love was Johnny Nogorelli, leader of the T-Birds but my second...Almanzo Wilder. I'm pretty sure I met and fell in love with Manly from the books, but the Little House on the Prairie show put a face to the man. That face: Dean Butler a.k.a. Hank Summers, Buffy's dad. Every time Buffy's mom bums me out, I really wish Hank had gotten custody. And also, if there was a book delivery service, I would have turned off the t.v. and read every single one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books again. I'm still planning on doing it. I'd like to see if they're as good now as then.
8. Secondary characters. I don't really care for Buffy or Angel. I do really like Queen of Mean Cordelia, Willow and Xander, and Oz the werewolf. It's nice to see Seth Green in a "normal" role. He's a werewolf here, but on this show, still normal.
9. Young Hollywood "I spy". It's fun to see people and then place them from where I've seen them. My favorite is Coby Bell, the new burned spy on Burn Notice. His credit on the show was something like "Young Boy" but I saw him and went "Hey, that's Coby Bell!" It's a stupid game, but it's reassuring to know I've still got my skills.
And last but most important:
10. My newest posh British accent crush: Anthony Stewart Head. I met him first as the king in "Merlin" but he seemed a little (say this with a whisper) old or mean maybe for crush status. In 1997, as Buffy's Watcher Giles...much  better. As far as tony Brits with really good voices go, I'd put him second on my list. #1: Alan Rickman. #2: Anthony Stewart Head. They can take turns reading me the phone book.

No comments: