Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What did you do last night?

This is me, sitting in the closet. It's tornado season here and I happen to live life on the edge of tornado alley. To be fair, there's hardly any place at all in this state that doesn't have its share of tornado warnings. I just happen to live in the spot that has them every time. It's like you don't even have to say "Saline County" because it's just understood. Most of the time, I'm pretty complacent about the storms and the sirens, but we had a bad storm last week that came really close to a friend (who does not live anywhere near me and we all probably would have said was in a low risk area. Tornadoes=no such thing).

So I was a little nervy last night when the warnings interrupted the Glee. So I relocated to the closet in my bedroom which backs up to my bathrooms (and is very, very nearly an exterior wall but seems to be my best choice). I use this closet for many things. Every time I have to sit in this spot which is as big as you see, I think, "I'm going to clean this closet up before the next storm." I don't do that. I just fold myself up and fit myself in. Lightning and hail are a big motivator for me. My phone starts ringing early on and it's never the phone I carried in to the closet with me. I also never seem to learn to pick them both up. The thing I don't forget: Diet Coke. And, of course, I have to take the laptop. I mean, I can't hear the television from here. I need it for safety and communication (and Twitter and Facebook and email and games and YouTube videos and whatever the next distraction is that pops up while the electricity and then battery power holds). It's really not a bad setup if I could just figure out how to get a couch in there. The laptop is a new addition. Before, there was a large, sleeping dog where you see the computer if I could manage to trick her inside the closet with me. It was a very tight fit.

Last night I was trying to write a humorous essay. Believe me, the fact that I was sitting in the closet with my knees under my chin did occur to me. I think I might be able to write in the closet as a rule if I can just learn to ignore the shooting pains in my cramped legs. I really need to clean this closet out before the next storm.

No comments: