Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Thank you, MTV

This post is the result of a lunch conversation on Monday. My quilt posse was there, Mundane Jane, and Mary (who needs a better blog handle Mary2Lemons, or Dos Limones for international flair? I'm not sure.) And as the conversation goes, somehow, the Sir Mixalot song "Baby Got Back" comes up. And I am disturbed. Not because of the conversation, but because I immediately know who, what, when and how about the song while others wonder what MJ is talking about. Well, that and because now that stupid song won't leave my head. I think that wondering what MJ is talking about is fairly common, but I'm either a whole generation away or I'm a total pop culture idiot savant (definition: person who is mentally retarded in general but who displays remarkable aptitude in some limited field (usually involving memory).
There are probably a couple of extenuating circumstances that make it slightly better, a little more OK that I know these things...
1. In 1992, MTV was still a big part of my life. Sir Mixalot's life too.
2. I have a low entertainment threshold. I'm not to the point where I actually spend my Sunday afternoons surfing YouTube looking for dancing cats or anything like that. Cute Overload is my cute animal site of choice. But all it takes to entertain me is to turn on the 100 Greatest Songs of the 80s. And I know that if I work "Living On A Prayer" into conversation that I'm likely to get only a slightly better response than "Baby Got Back." Although when we illustrated Sir Mixalot's song, my more high-brow friends told me that if "Baby Got Back" had started playing in their house, they would have turned it off. I can still sing it 15 years later (as well as nearly 100% of the remaining 99 songs). So instead of risking the offense of others, I'm posting this Bon Jovi classic, ranked the #1 song of the 80s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have very much enjoyed this video! EXCELLENT FIND!!!