Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it

And, really, I do feel fine (that's from a song just in case you missed that and now I'll be singing just that one part over and over all day) except for an annoying cold/allergy/sinus mucus attack that will make flying on a plane and walking a show just all kinds of fun. So...back to the title. The end of the world...I went into Barnes and Noble yesterday, top of the list on my list of favorite places in the world (food + books = heaven as far as I can tell), with the full intention of buying at least 2 books. I need 2 books for this weekend. That is all there is to it. In order to avoid a frightening word-on-page shortage until I can get back home and in control of my shopping, I need 2 books. And against my better judgement, I was compelled to finish up Breaking Dawn in an all-night session on Tuesday. So I went to Barnes and Noble.

And I walked out without a single book.

In my lifetime, I have experienced periods of shopping drought. In the grey times, I would go out to buy and return empty handed. But bookstores were always my lifeline. I never thought it would happen that I would walk in and back out without a book when I truly had a need. There were books that I would have bought for just anyday, but not the books I wanted to be my 2 books.

I pondered it on my way home last night. I blame the medication. Really, what else could it be? Of course, it's just Sudafed. Can that really alter a personality? Maybe so.

While I was wandering around the sections of the store, I noticed all the people sitting and reading (at 4:30 on Wednesday. Don't you people have jobs/kids/dinner to cook or something? I mean, the place was crowded) had the same look...the intellectual deep in thought look. Much like The Thinker...chin propped thoughtfully on one hand or a finger while engrossed in reading. Really. All of them. I don't think I look like that when I read. Maybe I should have asked one of those Sudafed-free deep thinkers to pick my 2 books for me.

No comments: