Monday, November 24, 2008

Vocabulary tests


As I was looking over the shelves in my local library last weekend, I ran across A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire. This post will not be a review of that book. I am fighting my compulsion to read that book. I do not want to read that book. Because I struggled through Wicked recently, I know already that I don't want to read Son of a Witch or Lion and yet there is part of me that feels this need to see what happens in the rest of the story.

Wicked needed to be read alongside a dictionary. And I'm just not up for that anymore. It had outstanding critical reviews, but I do think only a Ph.D. in literature (such as the author) could read this easily. The story sounded interesting and even the idea of exploring what is truly evil, where does it begin, where does it end...that had potential too. Too bad the writing is so complex. Good for your vocabulary skills, not so good for pure entertainment.

I like words. I like to collect odd words and use them if I have the chance of it. I have an English degree and spent my happy formative years discussing and analyzing literature and I read. A lot. I have a good vocabulary. A few more words would be good, right?

I think at this point in my life I've decided I have better things to do than struggle through pages.
But I'm not sure. They look like such interesting, happy books...

Here's another way to add to your vocabulary if you'd like. I've posted this before, but it seemed like a good time to haul it out again...a game where they score you for you vocabulary...and then donate some rice...I gotta like that! Visit freerice.com and leave me a comment to tell me your best level. If you make it to 60, you can read the next 2 books and then just tell me how the story ends, 'k?

2 comments:

Sarah in Houston said...

Free Rice was fun. My best level was 42, but I think I stayed mostly around 39. I did give lots of rice, though.
Sarah in Houston

Cindy G said...

Just think of it as peanut butter toffee (which actually sounds pretty darned good).