Friday, January 30, 2009

In case you wanted to try your own imitation lasagna


I watched part of Hell's Kitchen (I Heart Gordon. Really. It's love. And fear, all rolled into one.) last night and I shudder to think of what Chef would say about my skills, my lasagna, my taste buds, my brain, my parents, etc. Apparently there are others who might be interested in "low-cal" cheese in order to eliminate calories. And that's good to know. I always like to know I'm not alone. Of course, if you're actually eating good food that has, like, calories and stuff in it, Stouffer's is better (don't tell Gordon I said that, OK?). And easier. And less expensive.

Oh, and if you actually know anything about cooking, you'll probably look at this and shake your head so sadly for me. That's OK. I know I'm challenged in the kitchen, but we all have to start somewhere.

Here's the link:
Lasagna

And mine didn't have all the same stuff: I went non-fat instead of low-fat when I could, I only have Egg Beaters, not eggs, so I used those. And I only used ground mustard instead of the dijon (and I'm not so sure about that anyway), and I would have used more sauce and less cheese if I'd thought about it clearly. Still, not too bad and it's better as a leftover. (And less than 300 calories as opposed to nearly 700 for Stouffer's, but then the serving sizes might be different...more research is needed, I'm sure, before you take this as any kind of diet advice. One look at me and it's clear I don't know nothing about no nutrition anyway!)

And since you must have garlic bread with Italian food, I tried to do that low-cal too. So here's what I did: Wonder Light White bread (which is what I had this week), butter, garlic powder and a little parmesan cheese mixed up. Spread on the bread, wrap in foil, and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 8-9 minutes. And, no, it's not as good as real garlic bread (but it has around 100 calories instead of 180 if I did my butter measurement correctly).

I expect all this calorie sacrifice to kick in just any minute. Really. Just any minute now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next time you're at the store, grab I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray for your garlic toast! It'll save you a TON of calories!