Sunday, August 23, 2009

A day off + 81 and sunny + convertible + scenic drive




I decided to take a little drive on Friday, a scenic drive up Highway 7 to Mt. Magazine. I would highly recommend it to anyone with a few hours and a sunny day.




It was just me, the bikers, and escapees from Hot Springs Village. I was little afraid every now and then that I would turn out to be a cautionary tale but we all got along very well. I stopped in at the visitor's center where I took pictures of the creatures because every scenic drive requires wildlife.
On my way down the mountain, I came to a screeching halt at the sight of some wildlife in the middle of the road. Unfortuantely, I didn't move quickly enough with my camera and I need a more advanced wildlife wrangler because I'm extremely curious about what sort of creature it was. My first guess was coyote pup. It was chasing bugs in the middle of the road. And that's only a guess. Other guesses: tall fox pup, short full grown dog with a very small face, or very odd housecat. Yes, I have no idea what it was: very tall legs, super long, skinny tail, very young, smoky grey in color, with standy pointy ears and slanty eyes. You're guessing "figment of my imagination" aren't you? I thought about stopping the car to get a picture, but as I'd dealt with the bikers and the retirees successfully, I was afraid to stop the car in case the grown whatever it was happend to have large teeth and in case my sheep impersonation is as good as I think it is.
As I didn't read the "Bear Country Safety" information until I got home, I had thought about trying some of the trails, after I'd had a chance to evaluate how many hot dogs I was looking at. Now, I'm not so sure. Unidentified creatures, bears, in addition to creepy snakes and just your general bugs...clearly the hiking requires a little more thought. Still, Cove Lake seemed a beautiful place to spend a little time.










No comments: