Thursday, August 20, 2009

On getting your money's worth


So yesterday I successfully completed the first lap in getting my new crown. It was as fabulous as every trip to the dentist is for me. This is how it works:
Forced upbeat perkiness from office staff and whoever wanders into my path grates on my nerves, already stretched to the breaking point by the idea of having to go to the dentist in the first place.
I respond with icy civility in the beginning and degenerate into annoyed grunts until it's all over with. Then I do my best to make amends with a small amount of friendly chatter and get the heck out of dodge.
I really don't like the place. They seem to be nice enough people though, so it's hard to blame them (when I'm being rational). On the way home yesterday, I decided that forking over that amount of cash (or credit in my case) should result in a visible change. If I can find a suggestion box the next time I'm in (a little over a week to have my purchase permanently attached and be fitted for a second), I'm going to suggest a literal crown be thrown in with each crown purchase. I think something shiny that will keep the hair out of my face might make me feel a little better about the whole thing.
Probably not.
I celebrated my success with a congratulatory oil change on the way home. I may be a glutton for punishment but at least I'm highly efficient as well.

No comments: