Monday, March 22, 2010

I blame Pioneer Woman

March 24, 1984
Shermer High School
Shermer, Illinois
A Brain, a Sport, a Basketcase, a Princess, and a Criminal

Thanks to first the tweets and then the review of You Couldn't Ignore Me if You Tried by Pioneer Woman, I have recently developed a strange need to watch John Hughes films. And this need translated to a trip out on Saturday to spend a birthday gift card at the Target on movies.

And as soon as I made it back in, I popped in The Breakfast Club. There I realized two things: 1. I had never seen the "undubbed for television" version of TBC. There was a lot of language that had been altered in the TBS version I was very, very, very familiar with. 2. John Bender is just as inappropriately attractive to me today as he was then, although...seriously, how old was Judd Nelson when this was filmed? He looks o-l-d compared to sweet faced Molly Ringwald.

But that's OK. I enjoyed. And I feel nearly satisfied. I think a little bit of Sixteen Candles on top will finish this round of "oh, man, those were good movies" and I can stop there. No need to pile on Pretty in Pink or Ferris.

I then did a very bad thing: I watched the extras. The extras included lots of interviews--Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy (most recently seen as the killer Yang on Psych...very cool), Judd Nelson (who appeared to have been roused from a box somewhere but was probably just in character for something), the guy who played Carl the Janitor, and a bunch of film experts...an entire collection of people who take the craft of movie making Very, Very Seriously. Clearly, they are Actors. And to see actors in their 40s(?) talking about their methods of acting when they were just whippersnappers...well, I could have just stuck with the movie.

And now a few quotes that you may sprinkle into conversation as you will:
"Sweets, you couldn't ignore me if you tried."
"Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?"
"Don't mess with the bull, young man. You'll get the horns."
"Chicks cannot hold they smoke."
"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place."
"If he gets up, we'll all get up, it'll be anarchy." 
"You're a neo maxi zoom dweebie, what would you be doing if you weren't out making yourself a better citizen?"


Seriously, see if you can work in "neo maxi zoom dweebie" into conversation. You should know immediately if you're speaking to a fan of The Breakfast Club.

No comments: