Tuesday, October 05, 2010

and other things

The other things I did on Saturday:
1. Started another hat because I felt sure that I had it all down again and could totally churn out a hat on circular needles. Then I misread the directions, cast on the wrong number, and tried to work with the wrong number. I had a mell of a hess by the time I reread the instructions. Yarn had to be cut and clawed from the needles (I knit a little too tightly. Apparently I am too tense...a teepee and a wigwam...any body else remember that joke?). I cast on again. With the right number of stitches and everything. More on that later.
2. Went to a bookstore. I have been doing my best to be fiscally responsible and have been visiting my library mostly or rereading the collected works of J.K. Rowling. To not spend money on books, I have to stay out of the places they sell them. It's really as simple and as difficult as that. I have an English degree. In my life, I have worked at a library, a bookstore, and a publishing company. I like books.
And the Barnes and Noble was as lovely as I remembered. I walked out with a small bag of books, feeling as though the weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I could have skipped out of there. I didn't. It's a busy place. I have no idea what heaven will be like but when I get there, but I hope there's a Barnes and Noble, complete with Starbucks and a Sonic and more chairs. I need the smell of coffee but I require a Route 44 Diet Coke. And just as many teenage literati who entertain me anytime I wander too close to science fiction. Chortles now and then are good.
3. Drank a Route 44 Diet Coke. And also on Friday. And Sunday. I like them nearly as much as books. And now you want one too, right? Could you bring me one when you come back?

No comments: