Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Which star?

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.
(Lyrics from Wikipedia, if you know a different version, that's cool, too.)

blithe: joyous, merry, or gay in disposition; glad; cheerful
bonny: pleasing to the eye; handsome; pretty
gay: having or showing a merry, lively mood
good: morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious
(All definititions from dictionary.com. It's the internet. It's gotta be right.)

So I'm not an astrology believer. Are you? But I do love the Twitter, and there's been some tweetage lately about the change to the zodiac, new dates for the old signs and the addition of a 13th sign, thanks to a Minnesota community college prof. I have no idea what an Ophiuchus is. Do you? (Answer: Serpens, serpent-bearer. Eeew. Sorry, December kids. Probably should have just called it Slytherin, better appeal. Hello? Potter nerds? Oh, right, that's just me.) Anyway, there's no need to panic...it doesn't apply to us for some reason that I have not investigated and don't really plan to.

But this conversation led to one about the old "Wednesday's child is full of woe" rhyme. Figuring  that would mean I was born on Wednesday, but knowing that didn't really work with the story I've heard over and over about my mom and dad rushing back to Little Rock to make it to the hospital from Mountain View (where my grandparents lived, I think you might have wanted to have your baby in the hospital in Little Rock if you could back in the day). That had to make it a Saturday or Sunday...so I'm a Sunday's child, born on the Sabbath, bonny and blithe and good and gay. From this I know I trust the rhyme as much as I do the zodiac. I'm going to go check my birth certificate. I must have been actually born on January 27, Saturday, instead of the next day as I have celebrated all my life...What about you?

The New/Not New/Relevant/Not for Us/Revised Zodiac
Capricorn: Jan. 20 - Feb. 16
Aquarius: Feb. 16 - March 11
Pisces: March 11- April 18
Aries: April 18 - May 13
Taurus: May 13 - June 21
Gemini: June 21 - July 20
Cancer: July 20 - Aug. 10
Leo: Aug. 10 - Sept. 16
Virgo: Sept. 16 - Oct. 30
Libra: Oct. 30 - Nov. 23
Scorpio: Nov. 23 - Nov. 29
Ophiuchus: Nov. 29 - Dec. 17
Sagittarius: Dec. 17 - Jan. 20

No comments: