Sunday, October 09, 2011

Week 8: Winning

Okay, kids, work hard and stay in school and you too might win some medals. That's not one medal but two Jack is wearing. Oh, yeah. He's pretty much fabulous.

He tied for third place with his sit-stay. This surprised me but I'm happy. I messed this one up for him by saying the wrong thing, but he was still very, very good.

And then he won a second place for his recall. He's very good at this, but his degree of difficulty wasn't as high as say the Mastiff who sits perfectly and waits to be called or Mia who needs only hand signals. But he comes quickly, reliably, and with style and flair.

And I must also say...no, they didn't all get medals. They all got certificates but not medals. Without exception, all those dogs got better.

So that's it. Basic Obedience is done.

I celebrated with a bucket of bubbly: a Route 44 cherry limeade, the good stuff. And then Jack slept for about 4 hours.

April 27. That was when I picked Jack up out of the middle of the road. Jack's first post: Dang. It.

In less than 6 months, he's destroyed nearly every pair of shoes I own, eaten his way through a library of paperbacks, patiently suffered pills and my own emotional swings, flourished in school, and won medals. He's always been too sweet but he's also too funny and knows how to work a crowd, win friends and influence people. This is my commercial for shelter dogs and rescues. If you're thinking about getting a dog, please give one a try.

I wish I were lucky in drawings, door prizes, lotteries, and bingo. I am not. I am a lucky dog picker. And also, I do fairly well with friends. Mary and Gary were Jack's official press corps. I appreciate that.

So, now, I'm on vacation. I'm going to do some home stuff. And I'm going to stay a couple of days on the lake to see what Jack thinks of lake water. Wackiness will probably ensue.
Stay tuned,
Signed the lucky, crazy dog lady

1 comment:

JustCindy said...

Congratulations to you and Jack! I knew Jack could do it.