Thursday, February 09, 2012

To my friends

I've been thinking about what to post here because I feel like I should put something up. If you're reading this, we've probably been friends for a long time now. It's just hard to know what to say.

As of yesterday, I changed my Facebook employment info to "Will Work for Money" (as opposed to food. One look makes it clear that food I have.) I don't work for Leisure Arts today. I will miss my friends, people that I've worked with and enjoyed for a long time, but I will only miss seeing them daily. We are still friends. We have too much in common not to be friends forever. When I think about the things I'll really miss about going in every day to Leisure Arts, the list looks like this: Jean, Mary, Lisa, Frances, Susan, Celia, Jane, Rhonda, Lora, and Sheila. If I list all the people I'll miss in Knit and Crochet, Prepress, the rest of the Art department, Tina, Accounting...this post will turn into a roll call because the place is filled with good people. The best part of working at Leisure Arts was working with talented professionals who are also genuinely nice, smart, funny, and fun to be around. That's a big loss.

There's a fairly decent list of things I won't miss too. That eases the sting a bit!

In my job, I enjoyed working with designers. That would be a long list, too, so I won't list all the names, but it was fun to work with such creative people (*waving to my friend Pat*).

I was lucky enough to start at Leisure Arts 16 years ago and to work early on with people who encouraged me to do things I'd never done before. I grew up there and I'll always be thankful to Leisure Arts for giving me that.

So, now what? This is a very good question. I'm going to keep the blog up, but make some changes. The whole Material World thing was clever for the quilting connection, but it exposes my early Madonna fascination and some things you'd just rather keep quiet, you know? When I make the change, I'll put a post up here. Please follow me. I'll still post one zillion Jack pictures. I may actually craft more now. (If I truly understood how to use "busman's holiday" I'd throw it in creatively there, but I don't. So I won't.) Thank you for reading my blog. I can't make any promises about where we're going, but I think it's going to be good.

6 comments:

Regina said...

The Japanese say the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step - it just sounds like you need to figure out which direction that step will be in... and I hope you will continue to bring us along on your journey! (and Jack, too!!! crazy dog!)

Thinking good thoughts... and sending HUGS. 16 years is a long time - change like that is hard!

Elizabeth Ann said...

Not sure what to say, hopefully this is your plan to do something new and wonderful. I treasure the emails that you sent to me saying my dreams were coming true. Even the emails saying you liked my designs but needed to wait awhile opened up a brand new life to the designs. They are selling like hotcakes and that wouldn't have happen if I didn't design them and submit them to you first. I will keep in touch and still enjoy reading about your Jack....

JustCindy said...

I don't know whether I should congratulate you or offer my sympathy. I will still be reading your blog so that I know what you and Jack doing. I will be praying for you as you start the next leg of your journey.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, I'm glad you plan to keep on blogging! I always start my day with a quick check of your posts to see how you're doing, and it's good to know that in this world of change, that won't be changing. Hooray!


SJ

PatSloan said...

EMAIL ME>>> pat@patsloan.com

Phyllis Dobbs said...

Cheryl, I enjoyed working with you on my book and will miss you! It was great to see you at CHA! Good luck and I will continue to follow your blog!